Trabaja con nosotros
Mediterranean Marine Initiative (MMI) Leader
Position title: Mediterranean Marine Initiative (MMI) Leader
Reports to: MMI Shareholder Group (SHG) Chair - and is supervised in daily work by the CEO of the office where he/she is located.
Supervises: MMI Core Team, including staff seconded by NOs/POs
Location: One of the WWF Offices supporting the MI with headquarters in the Mediterranean region (Madrid, Barcelona, Marseille, Paris, Rome, Athens, Istanbul)
Date: July 2014
Initiative Vision and Strategy:
The WWF Mediterranean Marine Initiative pursues a 2050 Vision of a Mediterranean where healthy marine and coastal ecosystems produce streams of benefits and maintain vibrant economies, where people recognize the value of marine biodiversity for their well-being”.
The MMI is based on a Strategy (2013 – 2017), with the following two strategic goals:
1) MOBILIZE THE PUBLIC, BUILD POLITICAL WILL - By 2025, the Mediterranean Initiative has induced a transformational change in the public perception of the value of the marine and coastal environment, mobilized millions of people and key constituencies, and generated the political will and economic incentives to achieve an ecosystem based management of marine resources;
2) CREATE SOLUTIONS, PROMOTE INNOVATION & MULTIPLICATION - By 2025, a network of coastal and marine areas, their communities and economic actors have generated innovative solutions for protecting biodiversity features to secure benefits through blue/green economies. These solutions are multiplied by the MI and mainstreamed into policies and economic practices.
To accomplish these goals, the MMI will require the establishment of a wide partnership and a significant investment from a variety of donors and supporters.
MMI Leader Major Functions:
He/she is responsible for steering and managing the Strategy development and implementation, supervising and developing the MMI Team, developing proposals for donors, liaising with WWF Network, securing necessary resources, monitoring results and reporting, negotiating and accepting national projects offered by NOs/POs as contributions to delivering the MI goals.
MMI Leader Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Through the Chair, supports the MMI Shareholder Group in the governance and decision making process (agenda, decisions to be made, preparations)
• Assists the Chair in representations and advocacy to promote the profile and influence of the MMI and fundraising.
• Liaises with WWF Offices to engage them in the MMI development and implementation, to agree on their contribution to the MMI, to meet their expectations for delivery and to ensure that consistent and integrated approaches are developed across WWF offices to deliver on the goals of the MMI
• Supervises, manages and review performance of a Core Team composed of coordinators of key MMI functions such as Conservation programmes, specific Task Forces, Policy, Fundraising and Communication.
• In line with the Strategy, makes day to day decision on Conservation, Policy and Project development issues.
• Ensures that Fundraising and Communication strategies are developed and implemented.
• Manages the MMI core budget
• Brings the MMI teams together, ensuring information sharing, assignment of responsibilities and tasks, coordinating work-plans, and contributes to internal learning and knowledge management by routinely and consistently sharing lessons learned and models of change.
• Builds external relations, partnerships and networks and works with the MMI teams to ensure coordinated approach to Mediterranean stakeholders and institutions, partnership development
• Coordinates monitoring of the MMI strategy results, adaptation of MMI implementation strategies and reporting to WWF global network
• A University degree and technical proficiency in marine conservation, natural sciences, management, or another relevant field;
• 7-10 years professional experience in project/programme management position, of which at least 3 years in a leadership role, with demonstrated success in managing multi-disciplinary teams and multiple donor budgets;
• Proven experience in marine international conservation issues, program and policy development, negotiations with internal and external stakeholders, and some significant experience in campaigning, business engagement, and design and activation of strategic international partnerships;
• Preference will be given to those with on-the-ground experience and proven knowledge of the Mediterranean region;
• Familiarity with WWF network will be considered an advantage.
Required Skills and Competencies
• Adhere to WWF’s values: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging;
• Strategic thinker, communicator and motivator;
• Excellent knowledge of marine conservation issues in the region;
• Strong negotiating and lobbying skills;
• Experience in engaging donors, developing funding proposals, managing multi-donor project financing;
• Ability to work with and understand the perspectives of communications and marketing experts
• Proven experience and success in mobilizing and leading international teams;
• Proven experience of working with different cultures;
• Ability to work effectively in a matrix organization;
• Excellent command of English – fluency in French will be considered an advantage – other languages relevant to places of initiative implementation an asset.
Internal – Reports to the MI SHG Chair. Supervises the MI core team and the resources seconded to the MI by the Shareholding offices. Reports on perational issues to the CEO of the MI core team hosting office. Works closely with the MI SHG and its members to generate and orchestrate support to the MI. Coordinates the wider WWF Mediterranean marine team. Maintain close relations with WWF International global marine unit and other relevant WWF offices and initiatives. Acts as secretary to the MI SHG.
External – Builds relations and works closely with implementing and donor partners (public sector partners, bilateral and multilateral, private sector partners), relevant governmental institutions, Mediterranean resource management and regional governance bodies, non-governmental organizations, as well as the private/business sector.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.
(TORs developed by the WWF MMI SHG. Job description developed by Francesca Romana Marcucci, HR Partner, WWF International, and Paolo Lombardi, Director WWF MedPO)